Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Greatest Love

"Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so. Little ones to Him belong"-- old words to an old Sunday School song. When looking in the Bible for a verse to match this piece, I found it difficult to actually locate a verse where God says the words, "I love you" to mankind. Although the psalms display God's love for us by using words like "God's unfailing love," the direct quote is rare. I did find one in Revelation that says, "Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent," Revelation 3:19. These words come right before the "knock and open" passage. I think God must love me a lot because I sin much and have to ask for much forgiveness.

This is part of an altered book cover I made in February and sold. The banner says, "Jesus Loves Me This I Know." The words around it are from the newspaper and denote unrest and conflict in society. I used a vintage image I found in an antique store and other ephemera and enhanced the color or the image with watercolor pencils.


No comments: