Sunday, January 28, 2007

Clipped Yarn Fiber Art Technique


"Almost Dark" is one of my earlier fiber art quilts, one that I repeated in three sizes: post card, ATC and the one featured 9"X 9 ." I start with a piece of muslin and clipped or pulled fibers (usually yarn), and lay out a design background. I cover it with tulle, baste it and quilt it adding hand embroidery for accents. My designs are original and usually inspired by photographs. I know "things under tulle" has been around for a long time, but I haven't seen anything in the last six months like this so I'm thinking it is unique in the yarn placement aspect. I enjoy every design and each is a challenge. Lately I've been making ATC size quilts - 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" but have made quilts as large as 9 1/2" x 12."

3 comments:

Amy Munson said...

Beautiful work, love your creativity.

jackiputnam said...

Nicely done! Glad you're having success on ebay, too.
Jacki
(from quiltart)

Julaine said...

have you considered submitting a proposal to a magazine on your technique? It's looks like a great technique and your pieces are beautiful...

Peoria?...I'm in Rockford!

Going to the IQF-Chicago show in April?