Friday, May 13, 2016

Waiting Quietly


The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him,
    to the one who seeks him;
it is good to wait quietly...
Lamentations 3:25-26

Spring has been beautiful...one of the best ever with more flowering trees and profuse roses than I can remember --- Breathtaking!
Literally!...

but in reality, it has been awful.

Two months ago I got sick with a three-day cold-like virus with a low-grade fever and the next day my left ear went almost completely deaf.  It was Thursday, Sunday was just around the corner and Holy Week with its rehearsals and services was looming.
I expected it to last a short time but it has lingered through two rounds of antibiotics, a month of antihistamine and cortisone nose sprays and four doctors' visits with zero results.

Deafness.  This is quite a disability to a musician and I know three others in the music paths I walk that had EXACTLY the same thing.  What gives?  It has been a challenge playing when I couldn't hear myself.  Two times I could not play with the choir in the service because I couldn't hear if I was too loud or too soft.  I don't put myself on the same musical plane as Beethoven but I can definitely associate with his frustration at being deaf and having to perform, rehearse and teach music.
  I'm planning to retire from playing this summer and am thinking I may as well do it now.  I don't feel very effective.  At least this week I feel better physically!
I'm being thankful for the little things
and 
"waiting quietly."




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sally, We are so very sorry to hear about your hearing loss. Prayers and thoughts to you during this. If it does come to you having to retire from playing, you can rest in the thought of all of the pleasure and blessing you have brought from your playing through the years. When our time on earth is done, all that is left here on earth is our name with a birth date and death date with a dash between. You have made your "dash" count by sharing your God given gift of piano playing for so many for all these years. God bless you!!