Wednesday, July 31, 2013

My Best?


Try your best to live quietly, 
to mind your own business,
 and to work hard, 
just as we taught you to do.
1 Thessalonians 4:11

Our world is lacking our best efforts because they do not have Christ as their example.
Out of curiosity, I scanned the scripture to see how many references contained "best"...and most of the 184 say "give (or gave) your (their) best."  "The Best" is not expected anymore.  "Get By With As Little As You Can" is the norm.  More emphasis needs to be made on giving our best in the workplace, the home and the church.  We are not doing what Christ demands of us if we are not doing our best.
Here are just two examples of what is expected of us:
If we can encourage others, we should encourage them. If we can give, we should be generous. If we are leaders, we should do our best. If we are good to others, we should do it cheerfully. Romans 12:8
and
...and do your best to live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18

I admit that I don't do my job either.  Many times I goof off doing my thing.  I get by with as little as I can and make it work.  Others times I work like a fool on things that don't matter and think I've been doing my best.  Rarely do I do the Lord's Work to the best of my ability and have a true feeling of completion and self-worth.  The scripture humbled me today.






No comments: