Thursday, September 4, 2014

Singing is Good


How good it is to sing praises to our God,
    how pleasant and fitting to praise him!
Psalm 147:1

Though I play the organ for church, I also get to sing in the choir.  It's been a long time since I've been in a choir.  By the time I get to church on Wednesdays, my mind is fried.  I've just taught piano to two young beginners and two teenage beginners and one lady my age who wants to return after years away from the piano...just like teaching a beginner.  I've thought too hard and I'm tired.  Supper and a Wednesday service precede choir practice...another two hours... so I'm really ready to go home but I stay instead and I'm always glad I do.  
There's something about singing that revives me.  It could be that we have the best choral director I've ever known, a good (usually) full choir, a great accompanist and excellent literature.  However, I believe it's the actual singing that lifts my spirits and awakens my soul.  I'm blessed to still have a little voice to praise God in song so I might as well use it.

No comments: