Friday, September 16, 2011

Frustration

 I made this little skirt today--took me over 4 hours--yep, I'm not a very efficient seamstress having not ever made one before.  It had an elastic waist, a slip base and three layers of tulle.  The slip and tulle are sewn on the elastic.  All went well, though...finally, and a strip of tulle became the tie.  Tie about a yard of 2-foot wide tulle, fold in half, tie around waist with on side shorter than the other.  Tie the longer side half stopping half way, securing the knot.  Fan out the top of the tulle.
This strapless top was given to me to be the top over the skirt. After a round of not being able to get it over my dressform due to the way the zipper was installed, I thought I'd alter the zipper.  Wrong decision.  I got it down to the threads holding it from moving further, clipped threads and pushed the zipper too far and then OFF the end.  If you know plastic zippers, there's no way to recify the situation.  Ok, "Make it work."  I contemplated snaps, hooks and eyes or frogs.  I couldn't find my frogs (they're somewhere in this mess) and opted for the hooks and eyes.  Wrong decision.  They were too floppy and the top was too tight so there was going to be a gap between them.  No, snaps won't work because of the tightness and I can't put in another zipper.  I haven't done one of those in years and I actually want this outfit to sell.  It will have to be done by a pro so I have to pay $5.00 for her to do it.  Last time I needed her, it took 2 months, at least.  So, I'm returning the top to the owner.  I'll make a flower for a tank top or she can get the zipper fixed--not me.  I'm done with altering dresses, etc. now.  It's too draining and takes too long and....it's not fun anymore.  Yes, I enjoy seeing something old become new again but I'm done--at least for now.

No comments: