Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Just Dust

As a father has compassion on his children,
    so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him;
for he knows how we are formed,
he remembers that we are dust.

Photo attribution here

The life of mortals is like grass,
they flourish like a flower of the field;
the wind blows over it and it is gone,
and its place remembers it no more.
But from everlasting to everlasting
the Lord's love is with those who fear him,
and his righteousness with their children's children--
with those who keep his covenant
and remember to obey his precepts.
Psalm 103:13-18

I used to look at these verses differently than I do today--a fatalist's viewpoint.  I didn't want to think how short my life was.  I see more than that now.  I see a mission for today and a hope for the future.  I see a Father's love and mercy on fallen mankind and a provisional agreement for that mercy.  Things look different when one gets older.  It's ok to be "dust" today.

No comments: