Monday, October 14, 2013

God and the Fall


Be strong and courageous.
 Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, 
for the Lord your God goes with you;
 he will never leave you 
nor forsake you.
Deuteronomy 31:6

On the way to sub for the organist, I prayed, "Lord, go before me.  Make my way straight, protect me and allow the registration to work with the choir and congregation."  It was the first time I had played for a service in this church and, though I had practiced with the choir on a piano in the choir room last Wednesday, I was not going to have the opportunity to do so in the sanctuary with the organ.  Would I be too loud, too soft, able to see the director?  All these questions were plaguing me as I drove to the church.
God did give me a sense of peace.  All was well as I met with the orchestra, soloists and choir.  Things were looking good...I thought.
As I started descending the carpeted stairway on the organ side (the side on the right of this picture by the choir), the lights were low and I lost my footing on about the third step of 13.  I fell and tumbled...seemingly forever...and realized, "I'm not stopping!"  Immediately, like hitting an inflatable cushion (God's hand for sure) I stopped.  The pianist and another came running across the platform to check.  I was pretty banged up with a swollen lip, abrasions and a jammed finger...and it was three minutes before the service.
The Lord was with me even when the evil one wanted me to fail...and fall.
After I recovered my wits (about one minute), I took the bench and played what I had practiced all week.  The registration was workable and the service went well.  Though I was sore, I was able to return for the evening service with confidence...and I didn't have to go down the staircase again.
It could have been so much worse.  The evil being could have been in control but he wasn't.  God was.  I could have been badly injured but I wasn't.
I'm thankful that I had the opportunity to help out the organist who had surgery and needed a sub.  Next time I'll go more slowly and hold the rail.

Photo Credit: wjbc.org (West Jackson Baptist Church, Jackson, TN.)

No comments: