Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Words Are So Important


My lips will not say anything wicked,
    and my tongue will not utter lies.
Job 27:4


So many times I have been guilty of debasing another with my words.  I was careful not to "label" my children but my anger spewed out of my mouth at them too many times...just as bad as a label.  Parents get frustrated, are tired and don't think that what they say may make an eternal impact on their children.  They think that the child will forget, that the words will roll off, that make-up actions will heal...but they don't.
I knew my mother loved me but her anger at me, my sisters and my Dad was uncontrollable at times, so much so that I would run to another room and hide in a closet to escape.  She loved me and I knew that but the labels I received have been difficult to overcome.  Being able to control my anger has also been a life-long challenge, one on which I am still working.
The old adage, "If you can't say anything nice then say nothing at all." is still valid for me.  I will be a learner until I die for I think my childhood "teaching" has permeated my life.  Don't let it happen to your children.




No comments: