Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Practicing Messiah


Come, let us sing for joy to the Lord;
    let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation.
Let us come before him with thanksgiving
    and extol him with music and song.
Psalm 95:1-2

Our church choir is performing Messiah for our Christmas offering this year.  I'm playing the organ, a very insignificant base to the orchestra but it still is taking a lot of practice.  It's not time to play with the choir yet so in the meantime, I'm singing with them.  It helps me to get the tempo of each section and learn the nuances of the conductor.  I never get tired playing or singing Messiah, though the practice is demanding.  This will be the first time I've ever played with an orchestra and I will only have one session with them before the dress rehearsal with the choir so everything has to be performance-ready--no pressure here.
Like all my musical endeavors the past year and a half, I've called on God to help me concentrate and learn.  I feel it is important to present the best I can because what I do is an offering to God for His goodness in letting me still be involved in His work.  Practicing Messiah is one of them.
Come to think of it, all Christians need to "practice Messiah."  We need to live a life of Christ in all we do even though it is tedious at times.  Everything we do is an offering to Him for all He's done for us.
Off to the organ.

Photo Credit: bigbirdz -- Pyungam Church Gloria Choir

1 comment:

cooking cat woman said...

I know it will be wonderful, Sally, and so glad you are getting to be involved. Isn't it great to still be "musically useful"? When and where is the performance?