Thursday, November 7, 2013

Whine or Worship?


 I know what it is to be in need, 
and I know what it is to have plenty.
 I have learned the secret of being content 
in any and every situation, 
whether well fed or hungry,
whether living in plenty or in want.
  I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:12-13

This last line has been my mantra since my sister (who has gone to be with Jesus) gave me a purse with this inscription on it.  It must be others' too since I receive positive comments every time I carry it.  However, the first part of this scripture sometimes gets overlooked.  We've lived in "want" before and I must say that I was not as contented as I could have been during those times.  I wanted more instead of being grateful for what I had.  Even when we had "plenty," I still wanted more.  I whined instead of worshiped.  
We have entered our retirement years and we are still working hard to get extra money to live our lives comfortably but I am realizing how spoiled I have been in the past.  I am living merely by the grace of God and God gives me the strength each day to accomplish His task for me.  I'm fully aware that He has gifted me in unique ways and I am full of thanks to Him, the Giver of All Things, for the opportunities He still provides for me.  I am humbled that He allows me, a sinner, to share in His wonderful work.  Things are different now...a lot less whining and a lot more praising.


No comments: