Saturday, January 11, 2014

Bread: Basic Food


I am the bread of life.
 Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, 
and whoever believes in me 
will never be thirsty.
John 6:35

I began this post early this morning...before coffee...and got distracted because I realized that I needed to bake my bread.  I make three loaves from a sour dough starter almost every week.  No, we can't eat three loaves by ourselves but there is always someone who needs a pick-me-up, a little something special.  Today one of the loaves is going to the home of friends who are hosting dinner for us and a few others.  One is going in the freezer awaiting a trip to visit my son and his family and one will stay with us.  See how quickly it goes?
The early Christians depended on bread as a staple food as well so when Jesus used it as an example in his teachings, people understood the importance of the reference.  There are qualifications to receiving His bread, though.  You must "come" to Him.  His Word is true.  I'm filled in multiple ways when I come to Him to be filled.  Thank you, Lord, for being my bread.

Photo from personal files.

No comments: