Monday, January 6, 2014

Some Things We Can't Do Ourselves


Wash and make yourselves clean.
    Take your evil deeds out of my sight;
    stop doing wrong.
Learn to do right; seek justice.
    Defend the oppressed.
Take up the cause of the fatherless;
    plead the case of the widow.
Isaiah 1:16-17

The Lord was speaking  through Isaiah to the Israelites (we can just put our names here.)  God knew it was impossible for mankind to justify himself.  Man needs God, a Savior, an internal Adjuster.

                                             
Wash and make yourselves clean...  We say: wash me, and I will               be whiter than snow. (Psalm 51:7)
Take your evil deeds out of my sight; stop doing wrong...We say:  take away all my sins (Psalm 25:18)
Learn to do right...Jesus saidTake my yoke upon you and learn from me (Matthew 11:29)
seek justice... Solomon said:...for receiving instruction in prudent behavior,  doing what is right and just and fair (Proverbs 1:1,3)
defend the oppressed...God said to his two leadersI will help you speak and will teach you what to do (Exodus 4:15)
take up the case of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow...Moses tried to tell them:  He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow (Deuteronomy 10:18)


We just can't do it ourselves.  We need his help.


Photo credit: Rachel Kramer on Flickr

No comments: