Thursday, March 13, 2014

Good


He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
    And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
    and to walk humbly with your God.
Micah 6:8

I got word today of a friend who has been diagnosed with a rare cancer.  She will be facing surgery soon.  The verse for today was Romans 8:28
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

This is a verse many have quoted when bad things happen to good people.  It didn't give me comfort today and I wondered, "what is 'good' anyway?"  So, I did a semi-quick search of the word "good" in the Bible (through biblegateway.com) 
These verses called to me.
Genesis 50:20--You intended it to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.
Psalm 119:71--It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees.
Lamentations 3:26--It is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.
There are so many references to the word, "good," and they give me hope for my friend. I'm not in control. God is.  



No comments: