Monday, July 25, 2011

Caught Red Handed

We knew that there was one squirrel stealing our corn but now I see he has an accomplice.  I had to take this photo from my house about 75 feet away and crop it.  They are unabashedly on the top of the raspberry stakes where everyone can see them.  They don't care.  "Just give me your hard-earned labor.  I deserve it."  Sounds a little red henish to me.  My husband is not averse to putting one or two of these in our freezer for winter but he's not here now.  They seem to know when he is gone and know they're safe with me.  All I can do is scare them off but they will finish their dinners later when I leave.  Survival of the fittest is the name.  I guess because of lack of rain for weeks (until yesterday) they have been without food in their neighborhood.  They do what they have to do, I guess.  Hope your life is not that desperate.  Mine's not so I'm thankful we got half a crop for ourselves and that's a small plastic sack full.  They can't go to the store in the winter and we can.  Go for it, little ones!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

So they're just ripping the WHOLE EAR off! Wow! They must be desperate.