Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Three Remakes


sold
  This first one started as a zip-up-the-back bustier, probably 60's or 70's vintage with stretchy fabric and stays.  I added a black half slip and four tiers of tulle, 3 black and one silver, and made a matching tulle flower with an added grey and iridescent rhinestones brooch. 
 This little number began as the top only of a voile dotted swiss dress that had been cut off.  I added a short skirt with lycra (originally a skort), nylon chiffon overskirt in a bouffant style, surrounded the bottom with a black boa, added a grosgrain ribbon belt and a chiffon and feather flower with three pearls in the center. A while back I showed a photo of the back of the dress after I had paid to have a zipper sewn in.  The skirt and top were offset by about 3/4 inch.  I sewed the ribbon into the seam of the zipper on the back and made a loop (by chain stitching button/carpet thread) on the other side of the zipper.  Four other loops hold the ribbon firmly in place and the offset back does not show.  I thought long and hard about that one.   Finally, it is done. 
 This dowdy little half-calf length 50's dress with a cut-out and rhinestone studded neckline would get laughed off the floor at this generation's homecoming dance but...

sold
 this one won't!  I cute-ed it up a bit by removing the "flower" from the neckline and shortening the skirts.  The pink underskirt was under the original dress but I gave it a prominent place by allowing it to be about 1 1/2 inches lower than the top skirt.  I added a cummerbund from the left over pink fabric (taffeta) and a matching pink and black flower with a big rhinestone button in the middle.
As you see, I've been pretty busy the last day and a half since our return from vacation.  I think all of these turned out very cute and I hope they all sell.  Time will tell.  Now I need to rest.

1 comment:

Angie: said...

These are amazing! Absolutely adore the top one!!! Amazing!!!