Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Leaning on a Web


Can papyrus grow tall where there is no marsh?
    Can reeds thrive without water?
While still growing and uncut,
    they wither more quickly than grass.
Such is the destiny of all who forget God;
    so perishes the hope of the godless.


What they trust in is fragile;
    what they rely on is a spider’s web.
They lean on the web, but it gives way;
    they cling to it, but it does not hold.
Job 8:11-15

Why do we continue to cling to the ephemeral when God has the eternal to be grasped?  We're a foolish and wicked generation.  It looks like things haven't changed much and we don't seem to learn from previous generations.

You are my strength,
 I sing praise to you; 
you, God, are my fortress, 
my God on whom I can rely.
Psalm 59:17



No comments: