Thursday, August 27, 2015

On Being Alone By An Artist/Musician


"Lonely Landscape" by Anne Worner is licensed under CC BY 2.00

For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.


The life of an artist/musician/wife of a pastor is a lonely life.  I spent many  hours alone in our last ministry position because of my love of art and my practice hours were always spent alone (who wants to hear someone practice anyway?)  There are some things a person doesn't choose for himself, however, and being an artist or musician (or pastor's wife) are just a few.  God gives us abilities and the desire to create, whatever that may be.  What we do with those abilities gives us more pleasure than meets the eye but our lives can still be very lonely.
Only since moving close to family have I found that my life is now very full .  There are family needs and wants to be met, places to go and things to see, people to meet and things to share, meals together and moments of conversation.  I'm still an artist, musician and (retired)pastor's wife but I have learned to create pockets in my day in which I create and practice and I am a much more happy person.

Without family, one would have to find friends...which I did in our last position.  Though I loved my friends dearly, there is still nothing like family.  

If you have no family, create one. Volunteer to read to children, serve at a soup kitchen, go on mission trips, babysit, keep the nursery or pre-school kids at church, have lunch with friends, invite people to go with you window shopping, help an older person get back on their feet after the death of their spouse, fix meals for the sick or for new parents, call a friend and chat, write letters of encouragement to your church leaders or former co-workers, etc.,etc.  There is so much we can do and share with others.  We can't stay by ourselves.  God put us in communities for a reason.

No comments: