Saturday, January 9, 2016

Fruit of Your Hands

Fiber Art by Sally L. Smith

She considers a field and buys it,
    from the fruit of her hand 
she plants a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16 LEB

I had never related "fruit" with "my hands."  It makes sense, though.  What we do is as important as our character, how we act toward others and ourselves, and what we say.
I read my devotional for today (Proverbs 31 Ministries through Bible Gateway) and this was the scripture used.  Our hands can be fruitful and not lazy, fruitful and not hurtful, fruitful and not indifferent. Eryn Lynum, the guest author of the devotional I read uses these descriptive words for "fruitful" and I quote:

God... beckons our hearts to create something of artistry, of intrigue, of splendor, of His majesty.
 by Eryn Lynum

(Eryn Lynum is a member of a group called COMPEL, an online group that helps writers hone their skills.


Most Bible versions say something like...with her savings, she buys a field (my interpretation) but "fruit" struck home with me.  God wants women to be actively involved with more than their jobs at home, church and in the community.  He wants us to look beyond the obvious into new horizons.
I now have a different outlook by reading this passage.  Thank you, Eryn.


No comments: