Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Just Shadows

"Just Shadows" photo by Sally L. Smith

They spring up like flowers and wither away;
    like fleeting shadows, they do not endure.
Job 14:2 NIV

Turn, and they're gone...forever.  Such was the case of the little two-year-old boy who wandered away from a close family member who was distracted a short time helping his sibling.  She looked, they looked, the whole community looked and he couldn't be found until a week later.  It was the last effort and the searchers were returning home without finding him.  One of the men walked right up on him, body curled tight, no mark on him, asleep, or so it seemed.  He had died of hypothermia and no one could have done anything about it. 

I have run the gamut of emotions this last week and a half: shock, fear, sadness, anger, blaming, deep sorrow and depression...all of which are signs of grief.  I've been miserable but my feelings cannot even begin to describe what this family must feel.
  
The memorial service is tonight.  Though I cannot go because of my own church obligations, I'm sure the community will turn out in force like they did for the search.

However, there is a faction of the community that is still dealing with the anger portion of grief.  They cannot let go and have to blame someone for his death. They have started a petition for justice for him.

I do not blame the family at all!  I know how difficult it is to keep track of an active boy. I've "lost" mine more than once and was so grateful to have found them in a short time. We get distracted and it doesn't take long for them to get away.  I hope the blame-ers come to their senses soon and don't make trouble.  They are not perfect either.  I hope they can let the family grieve without producing more grief for them.


1 comment:

in the woods said...

Our thought was: It could have been you; it could have been us out on a walk with our grandchildren. Children move so quickly, grandparents not so much. Grandparents have learned rules for environments, children not so much. We understand well how easily something like this could happen. Sad beyond measure. A time to offer grace, receive mercy.