Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Just Open the Gate

"Just Open the Gate," photo by Sally L. Smith


Morning by morning he wakens me
    and opens my understanding to his will.
The Sovereign Lord has spoken to me,
    and I have listened.
    I have not rebelled or turned away.
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

New Year's Resolutions are not my thing because I resolve to do better all through the year.  That's not a pious statement but one that a sinner like me has to make because...well, I'm a sinner.  

I've been in the place many times where my heart is cold and unfruitful. Farming comes to mind.

The farmer sees that the ground is ready to plow.  He realizes that he must get into the field first by opening the gate. 

 He works hard...hours, days...plowing the ground, readying it to receive the seeds. 
   
Equipment is necessary before there is a crop to harvest.

How does this apply to me, the sinner?

Getting into the field...I first have to open the gate and realize that I have sinned.
Plowing...I have to turn over the ground of my heart by feeling remorse over my actions and thoughts.
Equipment...I ask God to forgive my sins and guilt so seeds can be planted again. I trust that He will equip me for good works and thoughts.

The hardest thing for this rebel is getting the gate open.






No comments: