Monday, June 29, 2009

Home and Arting Again

1 Corinthians 13:13--"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

This is a commissioned piece I completed for a returning client. I'm so privileged to have someone like my works enough to buy them, much less commission a work from me. She requested neutrals, beiges and browns--some of my least favorite colors but that is the chance one makes when agreeing to make art for someone else. She did chose a beautiful photo, though, that makes the piece. With it I've used a piece of even-weave "dirty" linen, an old lace doily, ribbons, a strip of doll dress, a buttonhole placket from a vintage blouse, old buttons, a corner of a hankie, a mother-of-pearl one-holed rectanglular button and a pearl, cheese cloth, an old plastic buckle, a sprig of dried baby's breath tied with a piece of measuring tape and iridescent beads--all placed on a vintage book cover with leather corners and edge. The buyer asked that I use "Faith, Hope and Love" as the theme and I added the words cut from a vintage dictionary and glued them to the buttons. Click on the picture to see a close-up.

No comments: