Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Watermelon Days

Numbers 11:5--"We remember the fish we ate in Egypt at no cost—also the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions and garlic." (NIV)

The "Dog Days of Summer,'' "Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer," "Summer Slump"--are all words related to summer. When I eat too many fresh fruits and vegetables I get what my grandmother called "The Summer Gripe." These words don't seem too positive, do they? And yet, summer is a wonderful time of year. My husband is one who enjoys every season. He just loves life. It's too bad, when I'm given such wonderful, God-given things, that I don't enjoy them when they come. I'm like the Israelites wandering in the wilderness. God gave them food they didn't have to prepare, meat when they complained and an abundance of water--even in the desert. Yet, they were not satisfied. Oh, Israel, sometimes I'm so much like you. God, help me enjoy the bounty of your earth.

The art watermelons are hand-cut wooden wedges I painted and made look like watermelons. They can be found at my Creative Call Studios shop.

1 comment:

Mrs. W said...

Hi Sally!
Good to hear from you, I love reading your blog it is so insightful and a reminder of such good lessons. Your writing really teaches and admonishes I hope you will continue to share what the Lord lays on your heart. Your art and words are beautiful! Many blessings to you my dear! Heather