Thursday, March 31, 2011

Reconstructed Updated Turtleneck Tee

 Take an old turtleneck t-shirt (this is a new girl's 10-12, after season sale priced at $1.00), cut off the sleeves  in a crescent shape and the neck curving down to include the maker's mark on the back.  (I cut 1/4 of the neck first and folded it over and followed the cut line through the three remaining portions.)
 This is the finished Tee--now a junior size small.  First, I stay-stitched the neckline making sure to not stretch the fabric as I sewed.  I made one-inch strips of fabric from the length of one sleeve, cut the strips into approximate one-inch squares pinning each square to the neckline while overlapping each.  I ran a stitch directly through the middle of each square, again being careful to not stretch the fabric while sewing.  I ruffled the sleeve edges with a  zig-zag stitch.
Here's the close-up of the top of the shirt.  Pretty cute.  It goes to S'more Couture today and will sell for $36.00---I hope---and I get 60% of the sale.  Cool!  I can't wait to make more.  Salvation Army and Goodwill, watch out for your turtleneck rack (I probably wouldn't even find three turtlenecks in both stores).  Retail sellers, I can't wait to get my hands on your Clearance tee shirts.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Awww, just how sweet are those ruffles!! I like this a lot :)
I reconstructed an old turtleneck into a top with lace panels and a peter pan collar, please have a look at: http://whatscraftdoc.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/diy-from-turtleneck-to-lace-panels-top.html