Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Momma

Intuitive art--I started with this transparency I made, added assorted ephemera scraps in no particular order, they just happened to be in a plastic bag. I keep everything. So I randomly pulled each out and used most of what happened to be there. I made a few glaring uglys, moved a few things around and added some words and here it is.

She was my grandmother. She and Grandpa L. lived in Minneapolis and we lived in Southern Illinois--a long way from relatives in the 50's and 60's. The last time I saw her was when I was two years old so I don't have a conscious memory of her, but I love her just the same. She was my Dad's Momma--mother to three ornery boys and an even ornerier husband. Grandpa's mother lived with them and outlived her. I heard stories of her gentleness, patience and work ethic. She was a child of Swedish immigrants and married a Norwegian immigrant--not a great mix, so I hear. I'll treasure the few memories of her I received from my Dad. One was that the family had a Norwegian plaque that said (in Norwegian) "Believe Strong In God." She did and God gave her the strength she needed to endure her trying family. She worked outside the home as well as cared for her boys and mother-in-law. This was almost unheard of in the 30's. She had to do it so she did. I've learned a lot from her life and I treasure those memories.

Deuteronomy 32:7--"Remember the days of old; consider the generations long past. Ask your father and he will tell you."

No comments: