Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Opening My Heart

2 Corinthians 6:13--"We are not withholding our affection from you, but you are withholding yours from us. As a fair exchange--I speak as to my children--open wide your hearts also."

Paul is speaking to the Corinthian church here as he is encouraging them to put their selfishness aside and reach out to all people in love. Paul and the disciples of Jesus were trying to establish the early church and teach them to love and give. It's difficult for some people to share their thoughts and emotions--I, for one. It seems that when I do, I either go overboard and share too much and/or bore people with my sharing or get too emotional and cry. I keep quiet, most of the time, and that way I don't embarrass myself. The time for sharing is when the Lord gives me an opportunity to tell of his grace and mercy in my life. I need to open wide my heart at that time and allow myself to be vulnerable. I need to show that I care and allow myself to show affection. Then the Holy Spirit may work in the heart of the one to whom I am witnessing.

This art started as a playing card on which I adhered a copy of a vintage image, other ephemera and a heart cut out of wallpaper. I enhanced by stippling black paint.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

See the difference between us is I just don't care if you're bored by my emotional spewing. Who would shut someone down when they're spilling out their heart, just because they're bored with it? I just spill and they can deal with the boredom. :) Hmm...is that selfish?