Friday, June 20, 2008

The Joy of the Lord

Nehemiah 8:10--"The joy of the Lord is your strength."

In this passage of scripture the Law was being read to the Israelites for the first time in a long time. They were so overcome by God's word that they started crying as they realized their sins. Nehemiah told them to celebrate. It was to be a time of festivity and sharing rather than a time of weeping and he used the words above as encouragement to them. These words still encourage people today. When our defenses are down, when we're weary to the core, when we've done all we can do, we need to remember this verse and be joyful in the Lord and he will give us the strength we need. So many times I depend on what I can do and not on what the Lord can do and he has all that strength waiting for me if I call on Him. How wonderful is that?

This is the second in a series of Fruits of the Spirit for Heather. I've used a playing card, cut-outs from a calender, other ephemera, scrapbook paper, a button, stick-on letters and lace. I'll elaborate further when I put it in a book with the other "fruits."

No comments: