Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Shelter

Psalm 91:1--"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty."

I take my shelter for granted. Just yesterday a friend told me that the roof of her brother's house had been torn off in the latest storm. That's the storm I slept through. I was oblivious to the thunder, lightning and wind. Many people were awakened by it and stayed up watching the weather for tornadic activity so they could protect their family. Not my husband and me--we slept. When the storms of life threaten, are we at peace in the Lord's hand or up watching the clouds? So many things in life are beyond our control-- like the weather. Do we worry and stew or allow God to do what he's already planned to do for us? Storms are promised but so is rest. Which will we choose? As a side note--if I had been awake, I probably would have been watching the clouds, too. Silly me.

This started as a small shadow box that I painted pink and white and added feathers, a jewelry finding, a dove charm, assorted lace and pearls, cotton, copies of vintage angel pictures, fabric roses and text cut from old books.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This piece and your story really touched me. There are so many things in life that we have no control over and once I learned that after my husband and daughter died a peacefulness came over me knowing that the control I thought I had was all a mirage.
Thank you for making such a touching piece.
Hugs
Bernice ZNE