Friday, February 22, 2013

Music, Music, Music

Photo attribution here

Sing joyfully to the Lord, you righteous, it is fitting for the upright to praise him.  Sing to him a new song; play skillfully and shout for joy.
Psalm 33:1, 3


The semester is in full swing.  I've received half of my music from my seven vocal students, 24 pieces; music for a vocal recital scheduled for this term, 11 pieces; choral literature for Women's Choral Union, 8 pieces; substituting in the youth chorus for an accompanist who had surgery , 4 pieces; Sunday's music, 2 pieces.  Guess I'll be busy on my day off and this doesn't even compare to the other accompanists who are more accomplished that I.  One has almost 20 students!  I know some of the music is repeated over the years in the department but still...I can't even fathom the amount of time spent in learning that much.  At least, this semester's music is not daunting and my situation is more stable.  Did you grab the last line of scripture above?  "New song"...I've got plenty of those.  "Play skillfully"...I'm trying, Lord.  "Shout for joy"...hmmmm, practice is hard work and time-consuming...I've got the "shout" down pat...What did you say, Lord?  Yes, Lord, you gave me opportunity and ability (though limited), I'll do the best I can for you and work on the "joy" part...(smile).  Now, off to the practice room.

No comments: