Saturday, April 6, 2013

Blood Donor

Photo attribution here
This is how we know what love is: 
Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.
 And we ought to lay down our lives
 for our brothers and sisters.
1 John 3:16

When I read this verse today I  thought of blood donors...those silent warriors who sacrifice time and discomfort for someone they do not even know.  My husband and daughter have been donors for years and they don't think twice when they have the opportunity to give.  I've tried but my body does not want to donate quickly enough and they've suggested I not give.  I would anyway, though, if there were an eminent emergency.

My thoughts went to the fact that Jesus was the ultimate blood donor and we sing of his blood sacrifice in our hymns.  Non-believers don't like to hear those hymns because they don't understand Christ's immense love for them as He gave up his life on the cross.  

What can we do today to "lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters?"

No comments: