Saturday, July 19, 2008

Grandchildren Are A Crown

Proverbs 17:6--"Children's children are a crown to the aged."

Well, I hate to think of myself as aged, but I do have 11 grandchildren and one due next month. So, I guess I qualifiy. I have seven grandsons and if you haven't noticed, they are very different from granddaughters (in most cases). For instance, we used to raise rabbits to eat. I know, I know, that's gross for some of you, but on a pastor's salary, one can't be too choosy. Anyway, my husband was butchering one of the rabbits and my son, now a doctor, came running to me to show me that the heart of the butchered animal in his hands and it was still beating. Now, that was cool and I'm not squeemish, praise God, but this is what interests many little boys. [ My daughter will probably contest this because she's a tomboy and raised with two older brothers, she didn't have a choice.] Boys are usually fascinated with nature: bugs, flies, snakes, spiders, fish, dogs, trees, mud--and the list goes on. Many little girls won't have anything to do with those. About the crown, grandchildren ARE different from your children. Have a couple and you'll understand the "crown" analogy.

This card is part of a Little Book I'm constructing for Deena, who has six grandsons. They are the joy of her life. I used wallpaper, a copy of a vintage image, magazine cut-outs, and stain.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Here I go contesting...I seem to remember bringing a beating heart of a chicken to the back door, myself. :) Plus a fresh egg...straight from the inside of the chicken. Good times. :)