Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Joy of Mail

1 Corinthians 16:19-20--"The churches in the province of Asia send you greetings. Aquila and Priscilla greet you warmly in the Lord, and so does the church that meets at their house. All the brothers here send you greetings. Greet one another with a holy kiss. I, Paul, write this greeting in my own hand."

Don't you love getting mail, especially if written in "real" handwriting? In Bible times, few people knew how to read and write and usually, only the men. Even the writers of the Bible sometimes had scribes write their letters for them. In this passage Paul lets it be known that the statements he's sending are personal and written by him. Letters were sent to the early churches as encouragement and many times were written to give spiritual instruction. We're far removed from being personal in our day and age and it's a warm feeling to receive something personal in the mail besides bills.

This card is part of a book I'm doing for Deena. Check out her on-line shop of primitive artisans at The Primitive Gathering.

2 comments:

Jan Thomason said...

Lydia, Two things.
First, I just saw the book you made for our friend, Deena. I saw it on her website and then just now on yours.
When I saw it on Deena's I left her a note that I was going to visit your blog and let you know that I think that book is simply amazing. It's gorgeous. It makes me tear up when I think of how it must have touched Deena's heart when she opened it. What a blessing you were to her!

Second - this particular post of yours about letters and the early church and the letters from Paul - not too long ago I sent a letter to family, friends and blog friends asking for their birthdates. I explained to them that we had let email take the place of something personal - snail mail - and I for one was going to start using snail mail for notes of encouragement, birthday cards, birthday "presents" - you get the idea.
I used a journal that Deena had made for me and sent to me for no reason than to bless my day.
The response I have gotten from people has been a blessing TO ME!

That's all.
You're an amazing artistand I do so love Deena's book.
I'm going to check out the rest of your blog and then go to your etsy store!

Have a fabulous evening!

Warmly,
Jan Thomason

Jan Thomason said...

Sally.
Sorry.
I called you Lydia.
Duh.