Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Tangled

A tangle mess of perle cotton thread. I can't even find the two ends and I've been looking for 10 minutes,
Still a tangled mess. I found the two ends, finally, and 10 minutes later the mess looks just the same as it did.
"Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive." No it's not scripture. This is a saying from Sir Walter Scott. But the Bible has many scriptures revealing the same thought. One is found in Proverbs 14:5--"A truthful witness does not deceive, but a false witness pours out lies." Have you ever said an untruth just to find yourself backing it up with another lie to cover the first---and on, and on, and on until you don't know what you said in the beginning? Many years ago I did just that--oh, what a tangled mess! It took a long time and a lot of embarassment to undo what I had done. Why did I get myself into that web? I entertained evil in my heart. I knew what a lie was and I jump head long into it anyway. I've learned through the years to not even go there. When I have a tendency to tell a "half-truth" I recognize it and either don't speak or retract my story and confess my untruth (a much more pleasant word than "lie" and a very difficult thing to do.) We need to be on guard all the time because the devil wants to pull us down to his level. Don't go there!
(I finally had to take the thread I needed to complete my project and leave the rest of the mess to untangle later.)

No comments: