Thursday, November 13, 2008

Treasured Possessions

Deuteronomy 6:7--"For you are a people holy to the LORD your God. The LORD your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on the face of the earth to be his people, his treasured possession."

We really make mistakes when we treasure earthy over heavenly treasures. I'm a collector and I have to be very careful not to "worship" my collections. Do I hoard? Hmmm....yes. Then I am putting too much devotion into earthly things. What good are they, except to fill jars and bottles and make pretties that are passing fancies. I've kept so many little pretties and have a difficult time parting with them. Of what heavenly value are they? I hope the scriptures I put on these bottles will touch the hearts of the purchasers and set their minds on track toward worshiping the one true God of the Universe. May the Lord bless the work of my hands and bring more people into his treasury--to be His "treasured possessions."

These bottles were either found or collected (actually gleaned from my husband's collection--with his permission.) We used to go digging for "treasures" when we were much younger. It was fun recovering old cast-aways and cleaning them up--only to put them in a box not see them again for many years. What a waste of good craft materials! I put little shells, buttons, beads and odds and ends in the bottles, sealed them with corks or buttons and rhinestone stickers, added old seam binding or ribbon, lace and a tag with the scripture reference. A rhinestone button tops them off (my very difficult objects with which to part.) I didn't like the little stickers I put on the bottles so I removed them before taking them to the shop.




No comments: