Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thanksgiving

This is my grandmother L. I didn't get a chance to know her well. I was only two when she died. I believe she died from a heart attack, but I'm not sure. It could have been from exhaustion from raising three very "busy" boys, caring for a grouchy husband, caring for her live-in mother-in-law, working as a cook for a wealthy family and then coming home to make supper for her family. I understand she had a tremendously sweet spirit and never complained. Unfortunately, I'm not like her. Look closely--she's on her knees lifting out that turkey.

I have so much for which I'm thankful--mostly, my lovely family--a considerate and loving husband, three wonderful children and their equally wonderful spouses and twelve very loud, but adorable grandchildren (and one on the way.) I have a warm home, plenty of food, money for gas, good part-time jobs and the ability in my retirement to make art and sell it--to name a few. For what are you thankful? Comment here and on my return from my Thanksgiving break, I'll enjoy reading all about you.

Please, feel free to use this photo for your art or for any other respectable reason. Just mention my blog, if you will and I'd also love to see how you use it. Thanks. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Hm...I bet she had a great name. :) I'm so thankful for my family. Of course, my extended family, but moreso my little nuclear family. I have such an ideal way of life that most people would give anything for, and most days I take it for granted. Yes, days are hard and I have a lot of difficulty making it through some days, but all in all God has given me an incredible life. Also, my parents are phenomenal. They are so considerate and compassionate. They raised me to be independent and then allow me to be that woman they started me being. I'm so grateful that I don't have to fight to be heard or wonder if they're lying to me or know that their judgment is skewed due to their lack of faith.
I'm thankful for my relationship with Christ. Without Him, how lost I would be.
Lastly, I'm thankful for my best friend. Without her I would also be so lost and confused and very cynical. Without her I would never have made it to the place I am today and that is a fact for more reasons than obvious ones. Without her I don't know how great of a relationship I would have with my husband because I can talk to her and vent and she's totally non-judgmental and unbaised, which is uncommon. Anyway, I have too much to be thankful for and too much grumbling going on in the midst of these wonderful blessings. Thanks for the place to reflect. Love you.