Monday, October 8, 2007

At The Cross

This gruesome picture can't even begin to portray the actual event of Mary at the cross of her dear son. John 19:25 says that she was there: "Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother." She was close enough that Jesus saw her there (John 19:26.) He thought about her future well-being as he assigned one of his disciples to care for her after his death (John 19:26-27.) I can't begin to imagine the pain of this moment. For a mother to witness her son's death is beyond my comprehension. We owe a great respect for this woman of women, the one God chose to birth and raise His Son.

This piece of art has a playing card as the base onto which I adhered a vintage image and other altered ephemera. I etched in gel medium, painted with gold and overpainted with red. This was the result of the challenge scripture (above) from my Yahoo Group, Art in the Word.

No comments: