Saturday, October 20, 2007

Dearly Loved

Colossians 3:12--"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourself with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience." This doll displays five virtues of the holy Christian. This doll comes as an answer to a weekly challenge by my Yahoo Group, Art In The Word: "Make art around this verse." I memorized the virtues as I was planning this little lady. Clothing is the seen part of a person and sometimes we get lost in how we look. We may display an entirely different picture of who we really are by the way we dress. It's interesting that Paul spoke of wearing these virtues. It seems we are to make these obvious to others. Hmmm? I need to work on a few--like patience maybe?

This doll has moveable arms and legs hinged together by mini brads. I constructed the skirt from strips of text, book binding, scrim, ribbons, embroidered trim and lace glued together and stitched on a wire ribbon. The top is tulle gathered with gold twine. I added the plastic beads, punched paper glued to beads and other punchouts on which I wrote or computer-generated letters to make the words and strung or glued them on wire or thread. Little round plastic coated stickers spell "patience." The torso is covered with fabric and ribbon. I added a ribbon to the top as a hanger and tied a knot to simulate a flower and glued more ribbon-made flowers beside it to cover the hole. A pink glass rhinestone is the earring. It measures approximately 8" tall and 5" across the skirt. The ribbon extends another 3."

No comments: