Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Mask

Matthew 23 is the "hypocrite chapter" because of the many times Christ uses the term. Verse 28 is the focal verse for today: "On the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness."
Many people will be wearing masks today. The word hypocrite comes from the Greek language and deals with acting on stage. The actor would carry a two-sided mask and change his character at the turn of the handle. His voice and behavior would change with the mask he had before his face. I'm a hypocrite sometimes--mainly because my real face masks my true feelings. This verse in Matthew, however, talks of acting like a Christian on one day but not on other days. If we are Christians, we need to act like it all the time so no one will call us a hypocrite.

This card is based on black card stock on which I adhere a copy of an old magazine photo and some book binding material. I made a mask of watercolor paper and etched in gel medium. I painted and then highlighted with metallic pen and glitter pen.

No comments: