Friday, November 9, 2007

My Broken Heart

My friend, Deena, has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer. She will have to undergo surgery sometime between Thansgiving and Christmas. I was impressed to make this card and picked out words from an old torn up book that grabbed me. I might call this an "Impression Card." I've never had cancer and have known of only one other who has (and my daughter had to remind me of her.) I don't know personally the feelings Deena may have--I can only imagine.
It seems that holy platitudes would be confrontational to her at this point. One thing I do know--God knows her every thought and feeling and God is the only one who can give her the peace she needs at this time. No one else will be able to comfort the way He can.
Psalm 55:22 says, "Cast all your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall." Psalm 142:4 says, "I cry to you, O Lord; I say, 'You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living." 1 Peter 5:7 states, " Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." I feel that Deena is an answer to my prayer for an artistic friend, one who could understand the mind of an artist and her passion to create. Maybe God brought us together for a reason other than that. She is writing a blog to document her journey through this dark time. You can find her at http://deenasstory.blogspot.com. If you've had cancer, you'll know what to say.

2 comments:

A Note From The Queen said...

This is a very moving piece, I wish your friend well.

Jennie said...

Just wanted to let you know Dusty's take. He said all those negative things are around her, but she looks at peace, but she also looks like her heart is breaking. Then he read your blog about it and thought it was interesting you said something about God giving peace. Just thought I'd tell you since I'd given my thoughts about it earlier. Love you.