Friday, January 4, 2008

Crafts of All Kinds

"He has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work as craftsmen, designers, embroiderers in blue purple and scarlet yarn and fine linen...," Exodus 35:35.
I was taking pictures of some of my Christmas "stuff" before I put it away and decided to use this piece today. We craftspeople have responsibilities, too. We're to use our gifts for the Lord just like anyone else. I made this cross stitch and pulled thread work on linen many years ago. I display it in the winter. It was the first piece I'd done on linen and there are a lot of mistakes, but you have to look closely to find them if you're not an expert. All of us make mistakes--some you can see easily and some you have to be an expert to notice, but they are there. We know they're there and so does God. We can get frustrated by our mistakes and decide not to try again or we can work around and through them to accomplish something useful or beautiful regardless. I think God would have us do the later.

The finished design measures approximately 7" x 11" and it sits in a 10" x 14" frame. This cross stitch, even though it took me a long time to work, is one of my favorite pieces. I used DMC floss and Mill Hill beads worked on Irish linen.

No comments: