Friday, February 15, 2008

As The Deer Pants

Psalm 42:1-2--"As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God."

I remember times when my soul was like a desert, dry and empty. I longed to be feel complete, whole. Those were times when I strayed from my Lord and went my own way into a wasteland without proper heavenly nourishment. I was very unhappy and constantly seeking, looking for fulfillment and love. I hoped that my thirsty soul would be quinched by worldly things, but it wasn't. No matter what I devised, it wasn't making me happy. Only when I turned back to God and wholeheartedly committed my life to him did I feel the inner joy only God can bring. I still have down times, but I know they won't last long because I turn those times over to the Lord and he provides me with nourishment I need.

I made this on the shoulder blade of a deer my husband killed this winter. It's his birthday Monday and he requested I do this. I don't like drawing deer. I'd rather do something more "pastel."
Some of you may gasp and gag at the deer bone, but when you are raised hunting, it is second nature. He was raised that way. We eat all the deer, processing it ourselves, and share it with our family. My husband has used and shared hides and has given parts of deer to Native Americans and other friends for their personal use. I used ink and colored pencils to create this picture.

2 comments:

Debbie McNeill said...

A lovely present for your husband.

SweetAnnee said...

That is a wonderful present for Bill.
Lovely indeed..and such talent!!

love you.
deena